Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Mission Statement

As much as I hate it, this mission statement is about to get sappy and sentimental.  I can accept that.  I mean, who starts a blog in his thirties who doesn't have some deep-seated, though often carefully veiled, emotion-based motive. So tough; here's my agenda.

Music has been my prime interest for about 22 years. In August 1988, my brother bought me the Top Gun soundtrack for my birthday and the rest is history. What started on that tape with Kenny Loggins and Cheap Trick expanded to varying degrees in all musical directions. I wore a wallet chain for a time. I bought band t-shirts that were (and, unfortunately, still are) slightly too small. I memorized lyrics without trying and it all meant something. Conversation centered around music with friends, family, strangers on planes. 

The conversation continues today at happy hour.  It was here where a colleague recently asked me to make a mix CD  (yeah I still do that) for her.  The catch was that rather than compile songs I was into, as was the custom, she specifically asked for songs that she would like.  Rather than shove my taste down someone else's throat, this upstart made me listen to my music through her ears. There was unexpected challenge in this. It took weeks (okay, months, but I had a lot going on, alright). What I realized was that somewhere along the way I had kind of stopped listening. I know the names of new bands--even though they are often not as new as I think--and I can kind of tell you what they sound like. However, I got the feeling that, unwittingly, what was once a passion had become a pastime.

So, as you can guess, this is my attempt to connect again with my music collection.  I warn you; I'm not a great writer or speller.  My posts will be irregular and take different forms. Be patient with me. Comment if ya like.

I get at least 90 minutes each day during rush hour, and the Washington Post sucks anyway.  Let the listening commence.

3 comments:

  1. Wow- to think that it all started with Kenny Loggins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Danger Zone is a wonderful place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big thanks to Tom Cruise for inspiring this blog. He should read it too cuz I bet he STILL listens to Kenny Loggins (ooh, snap!)

    ReplyDelete