Friday, March 4, 2011

LIVE: Positive Force PA Fundraiser @ St. Stephen's Church (Part 2)


Before I get back to the music from Saturday's show at St. Stephen's, an anecdote. A brief glimpse into a mind suffering "scene neurosis."

It's a good logo, right. Striking. Clearly meant to convey the rebellious spirit for which the DC punk scene is known. I can't be the only one that suspects a straight edge X to be found on the other side of that fist, right?  The significant role that the DC hardcore scene played in establishing (and naming) the poison-free movement is pretty well known. So despite owning Minor Threat records and having been straight edge for 15 minutes in high school (I forgot about the gateway drug, caffeine), what do I wear under my hoodie this night? A Guinness t-shirt. Upon arrival at St. Stephen's, I'm faced with a table full of books on clean living and vegan eating. Shit. My cool is my everything--the hoodie must stay on. I began to sweat literally and figuratively. Thankfully, when I stepped outside after Laughing Man finished up (see last post), I noticed folks passing a container around. As per usual, whiskey set my mind at ease.

So that takes us to the third band of the evening, Title Tracks. This is John Davis' group; he used to play drums in DC's much loved Q and Not U. Title Tracks are a helluva a lot of fun and they don't let up. What immediately made an impression was how clear his vocals were above the rock n' roll bluster that poured out of the speakers. I found myself singing along to the second or third choruses of songs I had never heard before because I could actually understand the words. As far as the music goes, though saying so is sacrilege to my wife, Davis' songs remind me of Elvis Costello in a big way. Especially if he was backed by the Thermals. With the exception of one song, their jumpy, power-pop songs start fast, stay fast, and end abruptly. He warned us about the stylistic change prior to playing the song that fades out rather than stopping on a dime. I wonder if he thought we'd get bored? On record the band is more varied in pace and sound, but on Saturday night they were on the attack, hooky and tight.

From It Was Easy (Ernest Jenning, 2010)
Title Tracks - Every Little Bit Hurts
Title Tracks - Found Out

Ra Ra Rasputin was the name I heard mentioned most by folks as I wandered around the church between bands. People seemed psyched to get their dance on and when a guy poked his head outside and said in a monotone voice, "Uhhhh, Ra Ra is going on so you probably want to come in now," conversations ceased, cigarettes were squashed, and the packed picnic table and benches were vacated in seconds. Sensing a degree of enthusiasm that generally makes me wary, I kept my distance at first. Appreciating them from the back of the room, I thought they had a great dance-rock sound going on; mixing electronic beats and keyboards with rock instrumentation. From the first notes, people up front were dancing like crazy! I was surprised. Slowly, the layered beats and synths got to me too. I found a safe spot for the two records I had purchased and made my way up closer to the front. What began with a vigorous head nod, escalated to a rhythmic hip shake, and finally to an arm-waving, hopping thing I do. At one point all four members of the band had a drumstick in their hand and were hitting something. Bongos, drum kit, a timbale-like thing, cowbell. It was almost dizzying how many beats were being thrown out during one song. It's weird, the older I get the more I dance. Hope to do it again with these guys soon.  

From Ra Ra Rasputin (self-released, 2010)
Ra Ra Rasputin - Neon Scythe
Ra Ra Rasputin - Electricity Through the Heart

More terrible pictures after the jump.

Title Tracks:




Ra Ra Rasputin:




No comments:

Post a Comment